It’s one of the most popular New Year’s resolutions in America- losing weight.
Sure, celebrities have teams of dedicated personal trainers and nutritionists to help them lose weight. But hey- we’ve got our smartphones for that!
And there are some really great Android apps out there to help make 2012 the year you get healthy and meet your target weight! Here are our favorites:
Calorie Counter is a great free app for people whose diet style is to track everything they eat throughout the day. The Android app makes calorie counting easier with some nifty features:
- A barcode scanner- This automatically records the nutrition information for any packaged food item you might have in your pantry or desk drawer. Just scan it, enter the number of servings you ate, and you’re done!
- Food and Exericise Diaries- Record calories in and calories out. In addition to the overall healthful benefits of exercise, working out also means you can afford to eat a bit more!
- Restaurant Picker- The app helps you decide on the best restaurant option based on menus from all sorts of major chains.
- Recipes- Of course, you can usually eat lighter if you cook at home rather than eat out. The Calorie Counter app suggests meal ideas and provides low-fat, high-nutrition recipes.
Fooducate is an awesome free app that translates those nutrition labels you see at the grocery store. Just pick up a product from the shelf while you’re shopping, scan the barcode, and get alerts about:
- Dubious nutritional claims
- Excessive sugar
- Additives and preservatives
- High-fructose corn syrup
- Controversial food colorings
- Confusing serving size amounts
And the best part is that the app recommends better, healthier options that you should be able to find on the same shelf. Not too shabby for a simple smartphone app!
Share Your Weight Loss Secrets!
Do you have your own secret weapon apps to help you lose weight? Don’t keep them a secret. We want to know!